Tips for Certification Upgrading
The Nova Scotia Department of Education is responsible for all certification and upgrading of teachers. These tips are intended to help teachers best navigate this system.
- Include your professional number of all documents and correspondence. Your professional number is your file reference number and is used to access your records/files at the certification office.
- Send all documents at one time. Do not submit until your application is complete.
- Keep a copy in your own file of everything you send to, and receive from, the certification office.
- Know your stuff. Teacher certification requirements, fees and procedures change. The website, http://certification.ednet.ns.ca, is the most up-to-date and accurate source of information.
- If you need detailed or more specific information not on the website, contact the teacher certification office by mail, fax or email.
- Plan ahead. Before hitting books, ensure that the registrar approves your program of study for certification upgrade.